MATTHEW A. NEWHALL
Little Neck, New York
All systems, with a focus on Production RHEL, Fedora core,
and Debian based systems
OS X server, OSX, Solaris, FreeBSD, z/OS
DHCP, System firewall, scanning, SNMP, Ethernet, wireless, NAT, routing, etherchannel, fiber, D3, Cisco products, etc...
- Unix/Linux services;
RHEL Satellite server(entitlement and patching), git, gitlab, DNS, bind (DNS server), routed (routing), Nagios (network monitoring), NDOUtils (Nagios and mysql), NRPE (Nagios component), fail2ban (dynamic firewall blacklisting), Wordpress, mon (network monitoring), Apache, Nginx, rtmp, Systemd, Launchd(OSX process management), Upstart, Tina (Atempo backups), Backup Exec (Veritas backups), TSM (Tivoli backups), Samba (workgroup and domain), sshd, Wuftpd and Ncftpd (FTP servers),
NFS (Network File System), Sendmail (mail transport agent), Mailman (mailing list manager),
SquirrelMail (webmail client), Courier (mail delivery agent), Postfix (mail transport agent),
Procmail (mail filtering), Mysql (SQL server), NTP, NIS, NIS+, lpd and CUPS (printing),
syslogd (logging/remote logging), Linux LVM, slapd (LDAP), Hylafax (fax bridging), Linux RAID, ipaudit (connection based traffic monitoring),
SSL, Package management (rpm, dpkg, pkg, apt, yum, RHN), Docker, Ansible, Kickstart (auto boot install), LaTeX (markup language), DSCL(ldap registry for OSX computers), xinetd(port management), etc...
General knowledge about AD, user management, Exchange.
SCSI, SATA arrays, SMART, SAN, Extensive knowledge of PC repair, IBM bladecenters, HP iLO
Borne shell, Python, C, CSV, JSON, YAML, Git, Ruby, HTML5, CSS, PERL, C++
- Interpersonal skills;
Considerable experience in technical speech, broad experience as team leader, designing work flow, supervisory duties, training, creating documentation(including runbooks), diagnosing problems through user interaction, experienced writer, knowledgeable in science, economics, bitcoin, and blockchain technologies
- 2/99-present President and founder of LILUG;
- (NYS 402, Federal 501c3 not-for-profit), the Long Island Linux Users Group
- About LILUG: LILUG has over 350 members online with between 35 and 50 attending monthly meetings, in addition it also hosts the LILUG Security and Infrastructure Special Interest Group
- 3/19-present Host of The Technocrat Live;
- A weekly tech interview and news podcast.
- About The Technocrat Live: A weekly tech ethics podcast covering game changing technologies and long form interviews with industry leaders.
- 3/08-5/17 The Rockefeller University;
- Information Technology, New York, NY
- Duties include: System Administrator; User and key management, maintenance of scripting for centralized server management, Linux server administration, OSX server administration, monitoring, patch management and remediation, monitoring NAS/rsync system, satellite server, gitlab, outlier solutions
Prepared, rolled out and administered first campus wide Linux patch strategy.
Designed and programmed, implemented, system to manage (deploy, track and revoke) ssh keys campus wide.
Designed and programmed, implemented, system to presort Remedy server metadata in scriptable categories for use in automation.
Designed and programmed automated campus patch scheduling with over 30 required criteria.
Designed and programmed custom, fully compartmentalized, idempotent, host rollout and management system. Standardizing host deployment and maintenance strategies.
Streamlined, expanded and rolled out nagios monitoring software.
Setup automated rollout of Linux system ldap integration with campus idm services.
Created and taught in house Linux literacy curriculum.
Designed and implemented cross lab Apple X-Grid cluster.
Set up and maintained Linux compute clusters.
- 5/07-3/08 Shopwiki Corp;
Shopwiki Corp, New York, NY
- Duties include: System Administrator; software installation scripting, configure system monitoring, software maintenance, hardware maintenance
Designed and implemented system to generate dynamic Nagios configuration based on wiki data; Written in BASH and Ruby.
Designed and wrote scheduled backup system using wiki variables and encrypted connections; Written in BASH.
Created script to generate dynamic computer use based email notifications from wiki data; Written in BASH.
- 12/07 Authored and edited Thicker Than Blood;
- About Thicker Than Blood: The worlds first community edited science fiction novel. Free to download, at least 100,000 copies have been downloaded and 10,000 to 20,000 readers.
- 1/03-5/07 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Information Technology Department;
Information Technology CSHL, Cold Spring Harbor NY
Duties include: System Administrator Manager; Backup Administrator; System Administrator; managing personnel and duties of server group, administering all backup systems, administering monitoring and beeper alert systems, Linux and Unix system administrator duties
- 7/06-System Administration Manager
2/06-Server Group Team Leader
7/05-Supervisor, Tape Operator; Designing workflow for and supervising tape operator, Architect unified tape system (IBM 3584, Tivoli Storage Manager)
1/04-System Administrator; Initial setup and population of server class information directory, architecture and configuration of Nagios monitoring system, reorganizing and administering backup exec 8.6 one year past supportable lifespan
1/03-Jr System Administrator; Reserve admin for Windows, Linux, and Solaris Servers, performing all changes to DNS, DHCP, and user logins, administering Time Navigator
4/01-12/02 Siemens Business Services at Brookhaven National Laboratory, Scientific Computing;
Information Technology Division, Upton NY
- Duties include: Site wide administration and support
for Linux and Solaris servers including campus web, email, ftp and
print servers, Linux workstation maintenance and support, security
configuration, department Redhat and Debian Linux expert, after hours
support, and customer service
9/00-8/02 SUNY Farmingdale, Continuing Education;
- Farmingdale, NY
- Duties include: Teaching and designing curriculum for
Intro to Secure Linux Administration, and teaching and designing
curriculum for Intro to UNIX
6/00-2/01 Taos Mountain Inc, New York Office;
- New York NY
- Duties include: Consulting in the areas of Network and
System Administration, deployed a php front end for DNS and upgraded
live DNS server cross platform to bind version 8, maintained in a Mysql
database, assisted with configuration of Cisco switches, routers, and
- About Taos: Taos Mountain provides premium consultants for a variety of administration positions
- SUNY Farmingdale;
- A.S. in Computer Science
- Cisco Academy CCNA Curriculum
- Cambridge Healthtech Institute - Cloud Computing Training: AWS
- GlobalKnowledge - AWS Technical Essentials
- GlobalKnowledge - System Operations on AWS
- 3/23 IBM - z/OS Fundamentals
This resume is available in other formats
Two page resume in Word format